6.09.2012

STEELO

 Many beat tapes have been released this year and we can add the young producer Sawyer Gannage's "Steelo" mixtape to the list. Even though Sawyer has only been making beats for about 2 years, this tape makes me feel otherwise. He was very talented and is very versatile! On Steelo he includes many different types of beats from trap to classic sampled beats such as Sade "Is It A Crime" which was brilliant. 
I am very impressed with his first beat tape and can't wait to hear more from Sawyer!
My favorites would have to be Crime, Faded, Goin In, and Cocaine!
Enjoy http://o1creations.bandcamp.com/album/steelo
Below is an exclusive interview I was able to do with DJ O1! It was initially video taped, but because of technical difficulties I was unable to get it posted

xCaliber x DJ O1
 
Q: Who are you?
A: I am DJ O1 and I make beats.. DOPE BEATS

Q: When and why did you start making dope beats?
A: I started making beats my sophmore year in high school just because my friends were making it. I was listening to their tracks, and they asked me for my opinion. I had to keep it real with them and let them know they were wack. You have to keep it real with your boys!

Q: Who inspired you and who is your role model?
A: Kanye West

Q: Did you make all of your beats from scratch?
A: It's 50/50 sometimes I sample and sometimes I do it from scratch. Whenever I go into the lab it's really just whatever I feel. Sometimes I dig in the crate and sometimes I keep it original.

Q: What is your favorite beat off STEELO?
A: I'd have to sale "Calm" because I put the most work in it.

Q: What inspired you to go back and sample Sade "Crime?"
A: I had the record from Sade and I knew that MF Doom sampled it and I wanted to remake it. The part that he sampled I wasn't feeling so I took another part of the song and re-created it.. because I am O1 creations!

Q: Who is on your top 3 list of producers of all time.. dead or alive?
A: 1. Chuck English 2. Lex Luger 3. Kanye West

Q: Tupac or Biggie?
A: Tupac. I feel and can relate to his lyrics more than Biggie's lyrics.

Q: If you could produce for any big name who would it be? Besides Kanye West?
A: Meek Mill, Rick Ross, Curren$y, Doughboyz Cashout.. anybody who wants to utilize a good beat

Where can people find more of your material?
Twitter: ThisIsDj_O1
www.soundcloud.com/sawyergannage
http://o1creations.bandcamp.com/album/steelo

Q: Shoutouts?
A: @thefadedpenguin @xcaliberlifestyle, TDeezy, Mar Mar, J Dud, Duke, V-Black

No comments:

Post a Comment